All of us here at Apple Roofing hope you have a fun and safe Fourth of July weekend with friends and family! We know that fireworks are an exciting way to celebrate the holiday, but we also know that they can cause personal injury and property damage. With that in mind, we want to remind you of some firework safety tips so you can be safe and have fun!
- Obey all local laws regarding firework use. In Lincoln? Check them out here.
- Buy fireworks only from licensed sellers.
- Only adults should be responsible for shooting off the fireworks. Let the children enjoy them from a distance. Also, keep pets inside or at a distance. Never shoot fireworks off around pets.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol until you are done shooting off fireworks. Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting off fireworks.
- Shoot off fireworks in an open, outdoor area with a hard surface.
- Have water nearby in case a fire would happen to ignite.
- Light one device at a time.
- Do not relight dud fireworks. Let them sit for 20 minutes and then soak in a bucket of water.
- Do not alter, combine, or make “home-made” fireworks.
And… how do you prepare your roof to prevent a fire caused by a misguided firework?
- Remove any debris on your roof. Needles, leaves and pine cones are great kindling for fire, and if your roof and gutters are full of such debris, a stray spark from a firework could result in disaster. Also, if your roof is old and dilapidated and/or missing shingles, your roof is more susceptible to a fire, especially if felt paper is exposed. For these reasons, we recommend shooting off fireworks far from any buildings and structures that could catch fire.