Winter is quickly approaching, which means that ice storms, snowfall and bitter temperatures are right around the corner. Winterizing your roof now can help prevent issues in the spring when the snow and ice melt on your roof.
This checklist is a handy, simple tool for homeowners to give to their contractors who can complete the inspection. While many of the items on the roof winterizing checklist can be completed by the homeowner safely, it is always recommended that homeowners do not walk on their roof as this is a hazard to both the homeowner and the roof!
Roof Winterizing Checklist
- Inspect for loose or missing shingles and replace those that need repaired.Inspect vents, flashing and skylights to ensure that there are no cracks around seams/joints that could cause moisture issues later.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts thoroughly and ensure that they are draining properly, without leaks. Remove debris, leaves, and twigs that would block the drain and cause melting snow and ice to run over the roof, freeze on the ground, and cause icy patches.
- Remove branches or trees near the roof top since these can become very heavy during snow storms and could fall onto your roof causing expensive damage.
- Clean chimneys and woodstoves early in the season.
In addition to getting your roof ready for the cold months ahead, don’t forget about the rest of your home! Below are a few other tips to get your house in shape for winter:
Other Winterizing Tips
- Be prepared! Buy a snow shovel or snow blower now so that you can be prepared when the snow falls!Inspect your doors and windows for drafty gaps, and apply caulk or weather-stripping in problem areas.
- Replace the filter in your furnace.Apply a fresh coat of sealer to your deck to protect it from winter elements.
- Disconnect hoses from outside faucets and turn off the water.
- Move seasonal furniture indoor for storage and to preserve the life of your assets.