Stop Doing These Things to Your Roof
You’re thankful you have a roof over your head, right? It protects you, your family, and your stuff from the harsh elements. Your roof’s task is to take on the hail, the wind, the rain, the heavy snow, and extreme heat so you can live comfortably below. So, why are you making its job more difficult than it already is? If you want your roof to continue doing its job effectively for years to come, heed the following advice:
- Stop stuffing insulation into spinning turbine vents. Turbine vents allow for proper ventilation in both the summer and the winter. In the summer, the turbine vents suck hot air from the attic, helping cool your home. In the winter, water vapor from inside the home drifts up to the attic. This water vapor needs to escape outside the turbines, or else it will condense on the underside of the roof in the attic and when the temperature drops low enough, will frost inside the attic. This will lead to wood rot and mold growth. The best practice is to leave the turbine vents alone.
- Stop walking on your roof. Not only is it dangerous, but walking on your roof also knocks granules off the shingles, making them more vulnerable to accelerated aging.
- Stop pressure washing your roof. One of the most common causes of roof damage and premature aging is improper washing (using harsh chemicals with a power washer). As you know, water has the power to erode rock. Asphalt shingles consist of thousands of little pebbles. When high pressure water is forced over tiny little pebbles, the result is disaster.
- Stop attaching huge holiday decorations to your roof. First, doing so requires that you walk on the roof, which we know damages shingles, but the heavy decorations also put unnecessary pressure on the shingles, especially if they rock in the wind.
- Stop hanging basketball hoops on your roof. The constant vibration from basketball hitting the hoop over and over will cause the bolts to break the seal of your roof.
- Stop shooting fireworks from your roof. This is an all around bad idea.